Sunday, August 18, 2013

Not Everyone Deserves A Trophy


It was perhaps one of the most memorable learning experiences of my life. It was field day, fifth grade and the year was 1983.  Renowned as the fastest kid in the school, I was confident about winning a blue ribbon as the anchor of my 4 x 100 relay team. Even though my team had fallen behind early, my competitive nature led me to believe first place was still within reach. I ran as hard and fast as I could, but as we crossed the finish line, it simply wasn’t enough. Even though I ran harder and faster than I ever had, the red second place ribbon only fueled my desire to be the best. Humbled by the experience, I would just have to work harder for the next year.

As a father of two I have become aware of a cultural paradigm shift that has me reflecting upon that experience. Today, it seems that competitiveness is being exchanged for a mind-set that everyone deserves to be a winner. In his article entitled, When Everyone Gets a Trophy, No One Wins, Michael Sigman points out how this pervasive attitude has decidedly made its way into American culture. It has made its way into the fashion industry, finances and even the entertainment industry.

Today, actors with no formal training in the music industry are attempting to become musicians. Athletes are attempting to become actors and so on. It seems that everyone is the next American Idol or Top Model with little to no experience or natural talent to truthfully support the ambition. The truth of the matter is that even those talented enough to make the cut on these reality shows rarely have what it takes to sustain a successful career, let alone be the best.

At the end of the day, it is the overcoming of obstacles, our wins AND losses that build character, self-worth and a host of other desirable personality traits. Competitiveness drives one to be better especially in the face of defeat. More importantly, when coupled with true God given talent, it can lead to greatness.

It is that very philosophy that drives what we do at Bright Lights Big City Worldwide. We don’t apologize for hard work and God given talent. We are always on the lookout for those with a willingness to compete and a desire to be the best.

Now, on your mark, get set, go!

Robert Loughry, Bright Lights Big City, Talent, Music, Acting, Authors, Promotion, Stars, Record Labels, Concert Venues, Auditions, Hollywood, Singer, Ari Emanuel.

No comments:

Post a Comment